Monday, June 29, 2009

Water Week

Maybe sometime I won't have such long posts...unfortunately for you, today is not that day. Here is a glimpse at our past week. Enjoy!

Last week was a great introduction to summer for us. I'd been feeling pretty guilty for all the dragging around I had been doing of Olivia and William and decided summer would officially start for those two. I call it our water week. On Monday we went to Ashby Park as you all know from my previous post. Tuesday we set up the slip n slide, a little pool for Olivia with our slide going into it and a little pool for William. It was so nice because we could just go in and out of the house all day. (You know, the type of in and out that drives most people nuts.) I think Olivia felt like she was at some amazing water park with all of her different options. We even invited Aunt Katie and cousins Mia and Quinn to join us later in the day only to have a big dark cloud and rain come about 30 minutes after our invite. boo hoo! So between the water park we created and the rain...our yard was pretty saturated. But as Olivia would say. "That happens sometimes, mommy." :)

Wednesday we were off to a friends pool. It was a beautiful day and Olivia loved it. (I really need to get that kid in swim lessons!) William tolerated it well. He was tired and just wanted to sleep and for the third day in a row I had him out in the sun again. I just kept telling him to get used to it, the Bahamas are right around the corner!!

Thursday brought more summer fun and the water park returned to our backyard. Cousin's Tiffany and Tyler were with us that day. I picked them up at Aunt Christina's work and they had forgotten their swim suits....so since I already had to make a run to Target to get some things...we just looked for swim suits for those two. And we found steals at Old Navy, $5 for all swim suits. I was very happy to have found such a deal! Home we went and the fun began. The best part was I even managed to get almost all of my windows cleaned that day as the older cousins entertained Olivia all day.

On Friday Olivia went to Mrs. Penny's to play while William and I went to the farm to help finalize thing for my moms 40th class reunion. We did a lot of baking and more cleaning. Yes, more cleaning. But I think we got pretty much everything done. I only had to hid a few things in closets and hope no one opened them. :) William doesn't mind the farm as long as I'm holding him. But he sure fusses a lot there. I'm sure it is nothing else than I'm expecting a lot of independent play from a 5 month old. Oh, I almost forgot. The poppy seeds!! I was making poppy seed mini muffins and that little turkey was fussing so I was trying to hold him while making the muffins. He managed to get a fist full of batter and as usual stuck it right in his mouth. I ask those around the table..."hum..can babies have poppy seeds?" The general consensus is, yeah, I think so. About two minutes later I see William has a rash all over his mouth and checks. My stomach starts doing flip flops and I think...this, might not be so good. I do a search on the Internet of babies and poppy seeds only to have one of the first few things to pop up be, "Infants die after mother gives them poppy seeds." No kidding. I'm trying to stay calm and hoping he doesn't need an epi pen ... mostly because I DON'T HAVE ONE!! I read a few other hits first and find that there is no problem with poppies and babies aside from an allergic reaction. Sigh of relief. I then click on the infant death article to find it was from 1911 and a mother put the poppies in their bottle. Still not sure what the details were to that but I did end up calling into the Dr about that rash. By the time the nurse called me back it has spread all the way from his hand (which held that batter) and down his arm and over most of his face. She told me it was probably just a skin irritation from the poppies. After several hours and a good nap, the rash went away and I've since kept him out of the poppy seed batter. :)

Saturday was filled with yard work, finishing those few remaining window and tidying up the yard at Forest. (which we are still trying to sell...pass the word along) I once again drug the kids with me everywhere. William wasn't as happy about my work day as I had hoped but for a teething baby he did his best. They were even super kiddos as I was getting my finger and toe nails painted for the Summer Party that night. Both kids did did great with the sitter. Olivia and I made Heidi (the sitter) a Mii on our Wii. William went to sleep right when we left only to squawk a few times and Olivia and Heidi played until bed time. I'm guessing Olivia would love for her to come and play again.

Sunday was another fun filled day. After mass and much too short of a nap for me, we were off to the Forest house to fix a part on the counter. Then we spent an hour and a half at the Big Country Bash. Olivia had fun playing on the swing set there. (I'm starting to think we need one of those...I'd hint hint Andrew but I don't think he reads this blog.) :) Afterwards we meet with the realtor and then were off to Ashby Park for a little party with Renee, Dan and their kids and friends. Once again, Olivia had a great time and William was just along for the ride. We had to leave a little early because well, I was "all worn out!"

And that is what we did last week!