Monday, May 3, 2010

eventful

Okay, I'll do my best to quickly update you on our last several days. Thursday, William was breathing really fast. Kind of like he just finished running a sprint. As the day went on it got a little worse and later I noticed he was pulling a lot with each breath. We got him an appointment for the evening. Andrew and Olivia took William to the Dr and I headed out for a meeting at church with my dead cell phone, although I didn't know that at the time. Andrew tried to call me about 30 times but didn't reach me until I got home about 830. (An hour and a half after William's appointment) When we finally connected I found out that William had been taken by ambulance to the ER for a possible asthma attack. The ambulance didn't have a car seat for Olivia so Andrew couldn't ride along. Poor William all by himself. (Although, it was probably best for the parents to not be there while he was getting his IV) Olivia was not happy with the paramedics taking William and was screaming "you can't take my baby brother!" Poor Andrew, I think that was his first time with both kids at the Dr and it wasn't going well.

We were at the ER for a while and they did decide to admit the little guy until he was more stable. The thought was to observe him overnight and let us go home in the morning. Papa Tom took Olivia home and to school the next day. Andrew went home as he had some interviews for an upcoming trial on Friday and I stayed with William. The night was very long. Once William feel asleep he couldn't keep his blood oxygen levels up above 90. He was put on oxygen for the entire night. He hated the little tubes and fought them until about 4 am when he was finally tired enough that he just couldn't stay awake to fight them any longer. It was pretty clear we were going to be staying another night as they needed William to sleep for an extended period of time without oxygen. We were hoping for some good news with naps but it wasn't good enough to let us go home. Andrew rescheduled his interviews and was my hero as I was next to worthless at this point. Friday went pretty well for the most part but again, at naps he still needed oxygen to keep his levels up. Andrew took the shift Friday night, (Which was my first night away from William, sniff, sniff) and I got some much needed sleep. William managed to go the entire night without oxygen and was going very well by Saturday morning. YAY!! We got to go home around noon.

Today we saw the allergist. We had been waiting over 3 weeks to see him as William is very sensitive to pollens and whatever else. We spent most of the time talking about William's attack over the weekend. He says we need to wait to say he has asthma since it could have been a number of things that triggered this attack. He gave us an inhaled steroid to replace the oral one he has been spitting out and told us to use the inhalers as needed and if he has another attack to bring him to his office he wants to see it while it is happening.

As for the allergies, we need to wait to have him tested. His body has been through too much, he still has a cough and needs to fully recover. He said later this summer we can test him. In the mean time, he should take Zyrtec once each morning or evening and to get some ivy block to help him tolerate the outdoors. I'm excited to try going outside again but nervous since we don't know what triggered this attack. (And I thought the rashes and swollen eyes were bad.)

We don't have an pictures of the event. I wish we had taken the camera. William had some cute times playing in the cupboard at the hospital. It would have made a nice scrapbook page - ha! If we are lucky, we'll never get another chance. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment